2.5.0 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezuk

举人
I am using an iPhone 4 with ios 7. Pleco takes 20 seconds to start with all other applications closed. Once is starts the speed is actually okay. I realised the iphone 4 is a bit dated now, but I guess there will still be a a large number of users in the same situation.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis - seeing the first two bugs (thanks) but not the third; does this affect every epub or just a particular one?

Tezuk - turn off the option to check for updates on startup (in Settings / Miscellaneous) - does that help? Also, if you've installed either of our custom font file add-ons, delete them and reboot - there's a bug that causes those to waste a TON of memory, which would slow down startup as iOS kills / memory-reduces other apps.

Tezuk

举人
Thanks Mike, seems to have done the trick. That gives me a loadup time of around 4 seconds now, which is probably acceptable for an iPhone 4.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... how many dictionary databases have you installed? Have you installed any add-on ones besides the ABCs? A lot of the dictionaries in the catalog are still using our old format, which made considerably less of an effort to optimize loading times than the new one does.

Alexis

状元
In the reader, with an epub open, if you click on the settings button, then click on the bookmarks/TOC button (with the settings pop-up still open), Pleco crashes. Same thing for other button combinations (search/settings/bookmarks/send to), or clicking the same button twice.

Last edited:

Alexis

状元
in the previous version of Pleco, I could highlight a chinese word/character in a definition, and then select "copy" or "search". Is there a way to do this in the new version?

Never mind. I just realized a toolbar appears at the bottom with a whole bunch of extremely useful buttons. Nice!

Last edited:

Alexis

状元
If I re-order dictionaries, the setting change does not take effect in search results until I kill and restart Pleco.

Alexis

状元
When I select a character/word in a definition, i get a pop-up definition. Clicking on the dictionary abbreviation in the top right of the pop-up does not switch dictionaries (but I expected it to).

Alexis

状元
If I am viewing a Chinese definition, have Pinyin in the search field, and switch the dictionary to "Full Text Chinese", and there are no results for the full text search, the definition area contains a partially refreshed definition of the last entry viewed.

Last edited:

Alexis

状元
LMA dictionary results are not getting merged in with the other dictionaries (ie. guolairen, benqian). I use simplified as my primary character set.

Last edited:

Alexis

状元
The handwriting input (not full screen) says "tap again when clear to backspace". However, when I tap, it creates a dot in the input area and doesn't backspace.

魏波德

Just got back from a nice trip (Shanghai - Suzhou- Hangzhou-Xian) and finally got around to install the beta. Been just playing around for about 30mins or so:

Overall first impression is amazing , havent tried a lot of things yet and have to get used to some of the new design, all in all a great job though.

- Took me 15 mins to figure out how to import/restore the database from the old version (settings - flashcards - restore) but maybe that´s just me
-One "bug" , probably mentioned before: I just wanted to start a new test and change the settings for the score subject (configure score subjects - show -...)it's set on "definition" , when I tap it to chose "character" i get a blank screen ( ipod touch 4)
IMG_0886.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis - OK, seeing the epub problem now.

Bookmark crash, popup dict not switching, and disappearing definition after switch are known issues - popup can be worked around by turning off the "skip on button tap" option in Settings / Manage Dictionaries but will be fixed in Beta 2.

Reordering dictionaries: are you sure you have to restart and not simply tap on the dictionary switch button / enter a new search

LMA relates to it being an outdated database (buried in my lengthy announcement email was the note that everything but PLC/CC/ABC was using our old database format and might be a little glitchy), dots under vowels are an ABC thing (indicate tone sandhi), "tap again when clear" is actually the language we used in the old version too and it seems like most people interpret it as the same type of tap described in the first line (two fingers, in other words).

魏波德 - thanks! We've moved restore to the slightly more sensible Import/Export section for Beta 2. Other bug is a known one, I'm truly amazed at how many people use the "score-based subject selection" feature - it's been on the bubble for removal several times (and still is) but there must be at least half a dozen testers using it.

Off-topic: Mike, are you at liberty to say how many and what kind of new dictionaries (Chi-Chi only or Chi-Eng / Eng-Chi) are you releasing on the day when the new version of Pleco is released? If I remember right you said one of the BIG monolingual dicts is being released on that day. Are you planning any others?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We don't know, honestly - depends on some publisher approvals and on how long it takes our team to finish converting the old dictionaries (including new editions of old dictionaries in the case of Guifan) to the new format. We might wait and release most of them a few weeks later so that we can deal with one giant-email-crunch-inducing product launch at a time.

Alexis

状元
Reordering dictionaries: are you sure you have to restart and not simply tap on the dictionary switch button / enter a new search

You're right. I guess i was just clicking on different entries, and didn't try a new search or dictionary switch (Wi the merged multi-sort, I predict I will only be hitting that switch for full-text search). Any chance that the setting could take effect immediately with the current results?

denmitch

探花
Everybody having crashes with document files: please try deleting the add-on font pack
I have also found that if I open my original Version of Pleco the beta version seems to "let go" of the PDF I tried to view. It will often subsequently open the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.