2.2.2 + 2.2.3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: 2.2.2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

goldyn chyld said:
Do you think it could have had any adverse effect?

I really don't think so - both of those symptoms sound like the result of an abrupt system crash; without the system actually deliberately shutting itself down it's entirely reasonable that you'd get the loud noise and the corrupted-looking screen, both of those would be plausible consequences of even something as simple at an out-of-memory error if it happened to hit at the wrong time.

character

状元

Just noticed this behavior

If one has the default flashcard category open in Flashcards, then goes to the dictionary and adds to it, when one returns to the Flashcards page, the list of flashcards is not updated. One has to go back to the list of categories, then open the category again to see the changes.

Not a big deal, but not ideal.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
If one has the default flashcard category open in Flashcards, then goes to the dictionary and adds to it, when one returns to the Flashcards page, the list of flashcards is not updated. One has to go back to the list of categories, then open the category again to see the changes.

Not a big deal, but not ideal.

That was an intentional performance tradeoff - long flashcard lists can take a second or two to reload on an original iPhone / iPhone 3G; we should probably re-evaluate a number of those now that the vast majority of our users are running faster devices.

Feilian

秀才

Dear Mike,

I do not know if you are already aware of that, but when a flashcard is converted to a custom, how is it that when you edit the definition these strange signs appear : "脲耀∼" ?
Are they useful ?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Feilian said:
I do not know if you are already aware of that, but when a flashcard is converted to a custom, how is it that when you edit the definition these strange signs appear : "脲耀∼" ?
Are they useful ?

Are you using the latest version of Pleco? Those should all be getting filtered out, we fixed this problem several releases ago... which dictionary are these cards coming from?

Feilian

秀才

I am using the latest version of Pleco (2.2.2). The cards come from pleco dictionnary. I am using the option that allows to hide the characters and their pronunciations in the examples when showing the meaning (in order to guess the characters). They only show when editing the text and seem to be related to the dark red color (and by the way very nice) of the ~ or any character inserted in place.
In fact it is not so much of a problem, it is just a little disturbing at first.

By the way, is there a way to change that color (in the dictionnary, and therefore in the flashcard) ?

Thanks for all

Christian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Feilian said:
I am using the latest version of Pleco (2.2.2). The cards come from pleco dictionnary. I am using the option that allows to hide the characters and their pronunciations in the examples when showing the meaning (in order to guess the characters). They only show when editing the text and seem to be related to the dark red color (and by the way very nice) of the ~ or any character inserted in place.
In fact it is not so much of a problem, it is just a little disturbing at first.

Ah, that explains it - just reproduced and fixed this, 2.2.3 is already In Review at Apple but it should be corrected in 2.2.4.

Feilian said:
By the way, is there a way to change that color (in the dictionnary, and therefore in the flashcard) ?

Settings / Dictionary / Entry Display.

adro

秀才

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is 2.2.2 specific, but whenever I try to export flashcards with definitions from Tuttle or Guifan, they turn up blank. In Pleco, the definitions appear. But when you export to txt or xml there is no definition.

Thanks,

Adro

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

adro said:
I'm not sure if this is 2.2.2 specific, but whenever I try to export flashcards with definitions from Tuttle or Guifan, they turn up blank. In Pleco, the definitions appear. But when you export to txt or xml there is no definition.

Licensing issue, unfortunately - you can turn on the "Remap if unexportable" option if you want to fill in definitions from other dictionaries in those cases.

really a minor "bug"
when selecting an entry in the search-results of the dictionary, it says for example 4383 of 78480 which i think refers to the total position of the entry in the dictionary, with the arrows on the top right you now can browse through all dictionary entries. . when i now switch between dictionaries, it changes to 1 of 1 and arrows are disabled.

you can reproduce this with pinyin-search with only 1 result as for a chengyu "buganjimo"

another thing which is bothering me just a bit..
i type in a part of a chengyu (since i doing a lot of them right now ;) ) in pinyin
the full chengyu is 天下兴亡,匹夫有责

• so i go with: tianxiaxi
  • now the CC dictionary has a match, i tap on it. entry is not so satisfying (well it is, but lets just assume its not for now), so lets see what the other dictionaries say..
  • for the PLC i get just the 天下 which is a bit confusing, since i selected the whole chengyu as a result and i just want to work with that result
  • ok, no match in PLC, so i tap again to return to CC. now CC also shows me just 天下 and with the arrows on the top right i can not bring up the originally found entry.
  • --> i have to go back to the result list and select again my entry to bring it up again.
also not severe, imho just a bit inconsistent.

pleco doesnt remember which was the last match i selected for each dictionary. so if i switch back and forth between dictionaries to see what they say about a single character, i always have to select it again from a sometimes longer list of matches.

one solution is to select the characters of a search-result and let pleco search for them again.
but i hope it would be quite easy to make pleco remember the last visited entry for a dictionary - of course just until a new word is being looked up.

having said this, i wanna add that i just love pleco and there is not much more to complain about. its so much worth every cent i spent on it. keep on the nice work! ;)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

soulspirit said:
when selecting an entry in the search-results of the dictionary, it says for example 4383 of 78480 which i think refers to the total position of the entry in the dictionary, with the arrows on the top right you now can browse through all dictionary entries. . when i now switch between dictionaries, it changes to 1 of 1 and arrows are disabled.

That's happening because when you tap on that button Pleco does a search in the other dictionary on whatever the current headword is; there's the possibility that that might yield more than one result, so it links to the list of results it finds rather than to the full dictionary (where the matching entries may not all be clustered together). Try doing this with 里 for example and you'll see why it's important - there may be more than one entry with the exact same characters and Pinyin and we want to make sure you can get to all of them.

soulspirit said:
i type in a part of a chengyu (since i doing a lot of them right now ) in pinyin
the full chengyu is 天下兴亡,匹夫有责

so i go with: tianxiaxi
now the CC dictionary has a match, i tap on it. entry is not so satisfying (well it is, but lets just assume its not for now), so lets see what the other dictionaries say..
for the PLC i get just the 天下 which is a bit confusing, since i selected the whole chengyu as a result and i just want to work with that result
ok, no match in PLC, so i tap again to return to CC. now CC also shows me just 天下 and with the arrows on the top right i can not bring up the originally found entry.
--> i have to go back to the result list and select again my entry to bring it up again.
also not severe, imho just a bit inconsistent.

This looks like a bug - seems to have something to do with the comma in the headword; we'll investigate, thanks.

soulspirit said:
pleco doesnt remember which was the last match i selected for each dictionary. so if i switch back and forth between dictionaries to see what they say about a single character, i always have to select it again from a sometimes longer list of matches.

Not quite sure if I understand you... so if you do a Pinyin search for a single syllable, tap on one of the search results, go back to the search results screen, switch through other dictionaries, then go back to the original one, you want the search result you tapped on to show up at the top of the list somehow?

mikelove said:
That's happening because when you tap on that button Pleco does a search in the other dictionary on whatever the current headword is; there's the possibility that that might yield more than one result, so it links to the list of results it finds rather than to the full dictionary (where the matching entries may not all be clustered together). Try doing this with 里 for example and you'll see why it's important - there may be more than one entry with the exact same characters and Pinyin and we want to make sure you can get to all of them.
yes i understand that, 里 hast of course more then on possible entry. with 里 this is not happening, only happens with searches that have only 1 search-result.its more the few thousand results it links to then, that do not fit in the picture like its happening with 不甘寂寞
mikelove said:
Not quite sure if I understand you... so if you do a Pinyin search for a single syllable, tap on one of the search results, go back to the search results screen, switch through other dictionaries, then go back to the original one, you want the search result you tapped on to show up at the top of the list somehow?
yea kind of (it would be true not only single syllables), it would then rather be a feature request i guess ^^ maybe just remember the scroll position in the result list since it is identical to the last result i tapped.

adro

秀才

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the audio pronunciation files.

It's actually been like this for months, so it's not 2.2.2 specific. The pronunciation files don't work 90 percent of the time. But they have occasionally worked, I figure maybe it was my fault all along, and I don't post an issue. But I swear it's not me. Yes, my volume is up! I even just re-downloaded the files (not the extended ones, just the basic) in case they were damaged, but that hasn't changed anything.

Thoughts? I test it on simple characters that would have audio...我, 来...that sort of thing.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

soulspirit said:
maybe just remember the scroll position in the result list since it is identical to the last result i tapped.

Right, we should try to find a way to do that at least.

adro said:
It's actually been like this for months, so it's not 2.2.2 specific. The pronunciation files don't work 90 percent of the time. But they have occasionally worked, I figure maybe it was my fault all along, and I don't post an issue. But I swear it's not me. Yes, my volume is up! I even just re-downloaded the files (not the extended ones, just the basic) in case they were damaged, but that hasn't changed anything.

Any chance the mute switch might be on? Strangely enough, you can adjust the system volume normally even when the device is muted.

adro

秀才

Any chance the mute switch might be on? Strangely enough, you can adjust the system volume normally even when the device is muted.

Well that's embarrassing. Coincidentally I have the mute button on 90% of the time. I didn't realize that would be a problem, since podcasts and music can play even when the mute button is on. Anyway, switching it on is not a problem! Thanks!

kun4

举人

Pleco 2.2.3, IOS 4.3.1. I'm looking up the components of 锻 duan4, and click on the topmost component. I get a smiley.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.PNG
    IMG_0090.PNG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,656
  • IMG_0089.PNG
    IMG_0089.PNG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,658

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

kun4 said:
Pleco 2.2.3, IOS 4.3.1. I'm looking up the components of 锻 duan4, and click on the topmost component. I get a smiley.

Heh, must be an overlap between our custom character codes and Apple's - not sure how easy it'll be to fix but we'll take a look, thanks!