山寨(fake) HTC

stoney

举人
I was at the electronics market ( in Hangzhou) the other day looking for HTC phone to possibly run pleco. Well this place is huge but no one sells real HTC, only the fake ones. However these knock offs have WM6.1, the HTC software looks like the real thing, everything looks identical. I was looking at a HTC Viva, look alike. His asking price was 1300yuan. He guaranteed me Pleco would work or he would make it work lol. I'm wondering what is different about these phones? Is anyone using something similar to this with any sucess?

Hi,

last month i bought a fake HTC touch (dopod S1+) on taobao, it runs Windows Mobile 6.5 and Pleco fine. Well, at least I guess it`s a fake one, because the HTC touch normally has WiFi and an OMAP CPU, but this one hasn`t.

sfrrr

状元
Sort of relevant to this topic. I recently bought a Chinese Android clone on eBay. It's a piece of @#$%, doesn't use even a clone of Android (uses some Chinese ripoff OS) but works as a mediocre cell phone. Just about the only thing android is the logo, which is accurate. I've had this thing for a little over a month and one battery is already shot. No wonder it comes with two.

Virtually impossible to put third party apps on it.

And, tell me please, why would someone clone an open OS when they can just take it for free?

mfcb

状元
sfrrr said:
And, tell me please, why would someone clone an open OS when they can just take it for free?

maybe because the device was already finished/cloned from somewhere else and just re-branded to android for a higher "return of investment", hehe

Shadowdh

状元
I would also just like to point out that dopod is not a "fake" HTC... its the Chinese version of the same phone (made by HTC too as I understand) but due to certain laws or legislation they cant enable certain functions within the phone as I understand it... so a good phone but just not the full HTC package...

I'm aware that dopod is the "reseller" of HTC Hardware, but actually there are really a lot of fake dopod/HTC devices floating around in China, especially at taobao. My fake HTC was sold to me as dopod, but branded as HTC. I'm lucky that at least Windows Mobile wasn't just a bad clone...